With the following instructions, you can manually remove leftover Microsoft Office programmes from your Mac. This is usually necessary to be able to install your newly purchased Office package.
Alternatively, you can use this tool for uninstallation to make your work easier.
Open the Finder and navigate to the applications.
Now click while holding down the command key (cmd) to select all Office Mac applications.
First click on the selected applications while holding down the CTRL key. Then you can use the right-click to move the selected files to the recycle bin.
Removing files from the library
- Press in the Finder ⌘ + Shift + g.
- Now enter ~/Library in the window that opens and then click on Go.
- Open the Container folder and, while holding down the CTRL key, click on the individual files and on Put in Trash.
Note: Some of these folders may not exist and must be searched for manually, in the search bar:
- Click the Back arrow to return to the Library folder. Open Group Containers and, while holding down the CTRL key, click on the individual folders, if any, and then on Move to Trash.
- Now empty the recycle bin so that the programmes are completely removed from the device
- Switch to your Dock if you have Office applications stored there. Then, while holding down the CTRL key, click on Options > Remove from Dock.
- Now carry out a restart so that the changes are applied.
Now you can start the installation without any problems.
Click here for the installation instructions for your Office package for the Mac.